Air Flow Measurement

tom cloud cloud at hagar.ph.utexas.edu
Tue Nov 19 17:12:28 GMT 1996

>	What methods have been used to measure intake air flow other than the
heated-wire sensor and the Bosch air-flap (that silly door thingy just ahead
of the throttle plates.)

>	Specifically, I am wondering if anyone has looked into using a
differential-pressure manometer to calculate air flow.  This manometer could
be located in the same location as GM puts its heated-wire mass-air-flow
sensor.  Any thoughts/comments?

>(FYI - Air flow could be calculated from a differential pressure manometer
by measuring air pressure in an appropriately sized (perhaps 4 inch dia.)
venturi located before the throttle plates.  Air velocity through the
venturi throat is related to the difference in pressure between the venturi
throat and the pressure before the venturi.  Air velocity is thus used
(along with air temperature) to determine total air mass flowing into the
intake system.)

>Bob McElroy

My long-standing question -- precisely ...... 'cept I think I've
one-upped you (?? tell me what's wrong with this concept ??).

If you know BAP and MAP, you know delta-P across opening -- granted,
the opening size varies with throttle position, but you've got TPS
for that -- seems that air flow could be rather accurately determined
without much hassle?????

Tom Cloud <cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu>