Air Flow Measurement

kleenair at ix.netcom.com kleenair at ix.netcom.com
Tue Nov 19 18:27:02 GMT 1996

Robert McElroy wrote:

>         What methods have been used to measure intake air flow other than the heated-wire sensor and the Bosch air-flap (that silly door
thingy just ahead of t

>         Specifically, I am wondering if anyone has looked into using a differential-pressure manometer to calculate air flow.  This manometer
could be located

> (FYI - Air flow could be calculated from a differential pressure manometer by measuring air pressure in an appropriately sized (perhaps 4
inch dia.) venturi lo

> Bob McElroyThis is achievable, the only problem is any restriction in the air intake
reduces peak air flow to the engine, so its not the best method for
power.  I have some experience with venture based gasous fuel systems
which work on a pressure differential principle.  I don't know what size
engine you have in mind, but for anything smaller than a small block V8,
a four inch venture may be too big to register any meaningful data at
idle and light load.

M. Ebrahimi