Air Flow Measurement

Robert McElroy rmcelroy at midcom.anza.com
Wed Nov 20 06:36:35 GMT 1996

If you want to measure airflow using BAP, MAP, and TPS, you would also need
to account for the pressure drop across the air filter and through the duct work
leading from the air filter to the throttle body.  If you don't, you won't get a correct
pressure differential.  I'm also not sure how the shape of the air flow path (such
as through the throttle plates in your example) affects the calculated air flow.
All of the examples I have seen used a circular cross-section flow meter.  Have
you tried calculating air flow using BAP, MAP, & TPS?  I would be very interested
in learning how well that method works, as it would be much simpler to implement
than what I suggested.