Air flow & such

tom cloud cloud at hagar.ph.utexas.edu
Wed Nov 20 13:48:39 GMT 1996

>The way I understand it, the flapper type AFM provides a bias voltage to
>the ECU (with a range of something like 1v. to 5v.) through a wiper
>resistor inside the AFM.  The ECU in turn controls injector period or
>duration based on air flow.  I have wanted to get rid of the restrictive
>flapper type in favor of the hot wire or film type used on the Motronic
>and others, but people are telling me, you can't because it's "Digital"
>and the L-jet is "Analog".  What is the difference between a "Digital
>volt" and an "Analog Volt", or did I miss something in Mr. Kelly's basic
>electronics course?

If you're confused about the difference between analog and digital,
suggest a stop at Rat-Shack and pick up a cheep book (NOTE: I recommend
little from those folks -- I teach electronics, and usually advise
a healthy distance from that place!!!, but they do have a *few*
redeeming qualities -- like they have a *few* good cheep books, and
they are open on Saturdays -- that's about all).  Maybe I misunderstood
what you said about analog and digital?

If you nose the difference, then it's probably possible to take an
inexpensive A/D or D/A convertor, package it in small metal box for
shielding, and convert one to the other to allow mixing and matching
components and controllers.

Tom Cloud <cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu>