Electromotive TEC-II?

David Gould dg at illustra.com
Wed Nov 20 22:56:24 GMT 1996

> Regarding idle control and canister purge, a good option is to leave the factory
> electronics intact, and let the factory system control these functions, while you use a
> simple aftermarket system like electromotive to control the fuel.  The only problem is
> that the "check engine" light will come on.  If this was a domestic car, I could sell
> you all the "fixes" you need to prevent the light from comming on.  But since it's an
> import, you may have to put up with it, and clear codes and reconnect the factory system
> before your inspection!

Do you mean basically to wire it up like this:

Stock ECU

 Inputs: water temp, tps, crank pos, egr valve pos  NORMAL
	 MAF, air temp DISCONNECT

 Outputs: radiator fan, ISC valve, egr, canister purge  NORMAL
	  ignition, injectors, fuel pump relay DISCONNECT

Electromotive:

 Inputs: water temp, IAT, MAP, crank pos, tps
 Outputs: ignition, injectors, fuel pump relay

So that basically the stock ecu runs the cooling fan, EGR, cannister, and idle
speed while the new ecu runs the timeing and fuel.

Clever idea, anyone ever do this?

-dg