Spark signal generation

George M. Dailey gmd at tecinfo.com
Fri Nov 22 00:21:32 GMT 1996

At 10:15 PM 11/20/96 -0500, you wrote:
>to get my ECM to run on a bench, i think i read that some sort of
>feedback spark reference is needed to simulate a "running" engine, in
>addition to, of coarse, key sensors attatched, or POTs. can someone
>explain what is basically needed and how it can be simulated?

I "emulated?" my GM TPI and TBI engines by simply connecting them to a
distributer and spinning it with my power drill. Worked great in both cases.
Used a 555 timer to fool the vats. The best way to fool an ecm is to find
out what it wants to see and then generate those signals by the cheapest
means necessary.

GMD