Air flow measurement

Mazda Ebrahimi kleenair at ix.netcom.com
Sat Nov 23 18:21:56 GMT 1996

To Tom Cloud (and everybody else):

I want to put up another aspect of using TPS and delta P and IAT for
flow measurement.  As the gentelman from Orbital (forgive me for not
remembering your name, but I erased all my message files...) pointed
out, air flow reversion causes an error in MAF systems.  Wouldn't these
same dynamic flow characteristics cause an error with the TPS method
(especially at WOT)?

Also, a while ago I read (somewhere) about a flapper system being tested
for introduction on some Cadillac engines.  Each intake runner would
have a flapper in it (near the intake valve) that prevented flow from
comming back into the plenum.  I believe at the time the system had met
their durability requirements, but they were concerned about additional
noise because of their luxury line of cars.  Has anyone else heard
anything about this?

Not only will this flapper possibly allow more valve openning duration,
but it would minimize pressure pulses in the manifold.  Judging from our
discussions so far, no matter what kind of measurement system is used,
the results would be more accurate using this system. Right?

Best Regards,
Mazda Ebrahimi