flow bench, little EFI content

Mazda Ebrahimi kleenair at ix.netcom.com
Thu Nov 28 02:06:22 GMT 1996

Peter Juergens wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> someone ,as I remember it was Mazda, mentioned testing on a flow bench.
>
> Because flowbench testing is not only interesting for flowing cyl.-heads, but
> also for manifold-flowing (especially after EFI-modifications, I think), I'm
> interested in one.
>
> My question now:
>
> Is there a possibility to build up a flow bench on my one?
>
> Any idea is welcome.
>
> See ya and
>
> BFN   Pete                 _____                         1962 TR4 daily
>                -- -  -    / <>  \   __, at _\____           Peter Juergens
>                  - ---    '--0--'~~'--0-----0->          PiJay at t-online.de
> <<  Only the one with the fastest toy wins!  >>

Yes, but it's a little tricky.  There are various methods for building a
flow bench, but I think the most accurate method is the sharp edged
orifice principle.  You should also look into how many inches of Hg
vacuum your bench can pull (the more the better).  Basically, the
apparatus should include at least the following components: the blower
motor, water column gauges for measuring pressure diff. across the
orifice and ambient pressure(this you can make), a set of orifices (you
may be able to find this from instrument companies...  These are just
the basics, but you should get a brochure from Superflow that might give
you some ideas.

The one thing you can't do with the flow bench is to study manifold
dynamics, which are very important.

Best Regards,
Mazda