flow bench, little EFI content

Laura & Neil Powell neilaura at ix.netcom.com
Thu Nov 28 16:35:00 GMT 1996

PiJay at t-online.de
>>     !! Only the one with the fastest toy wins !!
Dortmund/Germany

>Superflow is a leading manufacturer of engine test equipment,
including
>automated engine dynos, chassis dynos, and flow benches.  I only have
>the number for their Detroit sales office, but they are based out of
>Colorado.
>
>Michael Waller
>Superflow Corporation
>36875 Schoolcraft Rd.
>Livonia, MI 48150
>(313)464-4333     (area code may have changed recently)
>
>I read some of the messages regarding building simple flow benches.  I

>think their methods are more than adequate for must of us on a budget.

>The Superflow stuff is good if you want absolute measurements, so you
>can compare your results with somebody else.  But for seeing if a
change
>improves your design,  a simple system will do fine.  Anyway, it won't

>hurt to look at Superflow's product line, and dream......
>
>Best Regards, Mazda

Many moons ago, while still at college, we built a crude flowbench to
monitor flow in motorcycle cylinder heads. This used the principle that
liquids obeyed the laws of flow dynamics in exactly the same way as
gases, and we were not actually measuring the gas flow but comparing it
for various modifications.
We used a 5 gallon clear container of parafin which was located above
the head to be measured. The parafin container had 2 lines drawn on it
one about 6 inches from the top, and the other about 4 inches from the
bottom.
Quite simply the head was connected to the outlet of the container to
give a good seal and the tap opened. When the level reached the first
line the stopwatch was started and then stopped when it reached the
lower level. Crude but very effective. It didnt make our bikes any
faster, but was great fun.
Hope this gives you some food for thought.

Neil Powell <Neilaura at ix.netcom.com>