No Subject

Mcgonegal.Will at etc.ec.gc.ca Mcgonegal.Will at etc.ec.gc.ca
Thu Nov 28 21:44:18 GMT 1996

>>  You can't program a PC UART to 8192 baud, but
>>you can program it to 8228 using a divisor of 14, which is close enough.

>Actually why not change the XTAL to a 3.2768Mhz and use a divisor of 25?
>With the UART's internal divisor of 16 and a programmable divisor of 25
>would get 8192.

Why bother changing the PC XTAL.  As I have posted in the past, it is
possible to communicate to the 8192 baud ALDL with the standard PC RS 232
port and a few external parts.  We've done it at out lab.  You can't get
exaclty 8192 baud without the XTAL change, but the UARTs are set up to
handle a slight difference in communication frequencies.

If any one needs the program to set the baud rate to non-standard
frequencies, or the description of the interface circuitry required, I
will send it to them or try to post it on the DIY ftp site.  I do not have
the program to recognize any of the data or to initiate a conversation any
more.

Will McGonegal
Mcgonegal.Will at rr.etc.ec.gc.ca