Combustion chamber & twin plugs

Todd Knighton knighton at net-quest.com
Tue Oct 1 05:23:15 GMT 1996

Michael Fawke wrote:

> [snip]
> >Does anyone have any references to any work dealing with multiple
> >spark plugs per cylinder?

	The 911's use them on the newer cars, since 1989 to be exact.  The
older race car (911's) had twin-plugs as well.
	It works very well in the Porsche's Hemispherical cylinder head design.
	We've noted approximately 3-4 degress advance difference on the turbo
engines we do.  The Fuel Economy is improved, as well as the emissions.
	Also heard of American Eagle making that 12 cylinder engine for drag
racing with 3 plugs per cylinder on a 4 valve engine.  The chambers were
so huge that a central plug wasn't enough.

Todd Knighton
Protomotive Engineering