lots o' stuff on a 911

Stephen Dubovsky dubovsky at vt.edu
Tue Oct 1 16:24:08 GMT 1996

  Does anyone know of a practical boost pressure/hp increase can be used on
an original non-turbo 911?  I know it has a higher compression ratio than
the 930 (so I may have detonation problems) but my 180 stock ponies just
aren't quite enough (I figure another 100 would require replacing the tires
a little more often;)
  Its an 83 3.0L 911SC w/ K-Jetronic.  I plan to replace the K system w/ a
DIY-EFI type w/ enough injector duty cycle/fuel pressure left to be able to
supercharge it later.  My real dream and goal is to use a supercharger and
electrically drive it to close loop control the boost (I do motor drives for
a living, so this seems easier (and a neater project) than driving it off
the crankshaft).  The system would also allow itself to be turned down to
1atm for 'normally aspirated' driving on longer trips so the fuel economy
gets back into the double digits;)  I really dont care what kind of mpg it
gets when Im having fun, if I could use an indycar engine w/700hp @ 2mpg I
would do it in a minute.  Any suggestions?
  Im also worried about getting the heat out since its air (and oil;)
cooled.  I guess I could measure cyl temp and limit boost vs temmp to keep
it under some max temp...  Has anyone though of injecting water (atomized of
course) into the shroud (after the fan) to increase the latent heat capacity
of the cooling air.  Sort of like driving on a REALLY humid day all the time
(or just when required).  I dont care to reclaim the water, its cheap...
  The last question (for now...) is will the stock conrods/crankshaft/etc
take the extra forces.  The heads need to be rebuilt anyway sometime in the
near future (or at least stripped down and looked at) and was wondering
while I had it in a million+ pieces, should anything stock be replaced
(other than obvious worn stuff)?
Tnx,
SMD