FW: Combustion chamber heat

Mark Pitts saxon at zymurgy.org
Wed Oct 2 07:24:07 GMT 1996

Interesting Idea:

I'm not trying to be negative but:
First off, we have two basic types of laser: Gas and Xtal.

Each has its own problem, both are fragile.

Gas laser, hideously inefficient, and bulky, (and most need liquid =
cooling of the gas!) but cheapish.
Problem : very difficult to control pulse time, as it takes a little =
while for the plasma to settle, and start lasing(?) . So unless you =
could find some sort of shutter (Q switch? Anybody help me here?) it is =
going to be very difficult to fire.

Xtal laser. Take a ruby rod, rap a xenon flash tube round it, and fire =
the xenon. Result:population inversion in the xtal, followed by the =
droping of electrons in orbits to produce photons.... great. The last =
one I played with (that would produce a spark in the air, by pure =
ionization at the focal point) needed a PSU the size of a filing =
cabinet, but it could be fired accurately enough to balance a spinning =
gyro.  Trouble is, even this bugger needed an 8" long by 1" diameter =
ruby rod to do its stuff, and controlling the gas discharge in the xenon =
tube isn't so different to controlling a spark in the first place.

Some sort of microwave system, possibly a MASER... dont know too much =
about 'em, might be of more use, owing to the much greater efficiency of =
the things, might be of some use, if you can build a 'bomb proof' wave =
guide into the plug hole.=20