A thought...

Thor Johnson johnsont at falcon.mercer.edu
Wed Oct 2 19:26:54 GMT 1996

On Tue, 1 Oct 1996, Arnaldo Echevarria wrote:

> I'm thinking of putting fuel injection on my pontiac 455 in a '78 trans am.
>
> I'm thinking, instead of going the 68hc11 route, using a pc.  Instead of
> building a a/d and d/a board, use two parallel ports.  That would give me
> 8 ins and 8 outs.  Timing would be resolved by the computer, hell, 386/486
> motherboards are cheap.

  For our FSAE car, I'm leaning towards a similar thing - an 80186
evaluation board.  But it's still nowhere near a pc (4"x4", no 12V reqs).

> Question 1: Am I crazy? Anyone see an inherent flaw in all of this?
>
> Question 2: I need a good power supply to give me +12,+5,-5,-12. Should I
> pull the car's power, use a 12/24 volt transformer, then get a couple of
> voltage regulators to give the voltages I need? Car voltage lines are
> extremely noisy, any ideas on how to clean the signal?
>
> Question 3: Any suggestions, ideas, or people interested?

 Depending on what the computer is/does, you *might*!! be able to get
away w/o the -12V supply (losing serial ports, but I don't know what else
needs -12V).  Worth a shot I think, but it mioght turn one of your boards
crispy!

                Thor Johnson
       johnsont at falcon.mercer.peachnet.edu
   http://falcon.mercer.peachnet.edu/~johnsont