drive-by-wire

SRavet at bangate.compaq.com SRavet at bangate.compaq.com
Fri Oct 4 19:56:13 GMT 1996

Mark Pitts <saxon at zymurgy.org> Wrote:
| in the USA guys... I've got a warped view of your country from films and
=
| TV and stuff, but I cant remember the last time I saw summit with a =
| manual box. (is that what you call 'stick shift' ?)

Depends on the type of car.  The only cars you typically find with sticks
(manuals) are economy cars, some sports cars, and some trucks.  Take
Hondas.  Most of them used to be sticks, now most of them are autos.  Of
course, they used to be cheap cars, now they're expensive.  As far as
sports cars go, 5.0 Mustangs are at least 50% stick, maybe more.  For some
reason GM sports cars are usually sold with auto.  Even vettes.  Peeking in
windows tells me that only 30% or so of vettes are sticks!!  Doesn't make
sense, that 6 speed is a thing of beauty.  Camaros are even more lopsided.
You hardly ever see a stick Camaro.

These observations are from people I know and looking in car windows, I
don't know any real statistics on how many sticks vs. autos get sold.

--steve

Steve Ravet
sravet at bangate.compaq.com
Baby you're a genius when it comes to cooking up some chili sauce...