drive-by-wire

hoss karoly timothy at bekes.hungary.net
Wed Oct 9 11:46:42 GMT 1996

dzorde at aesprodata.com.au wrote:

>      I tried a mechanical linkage, cable and hydraulic for the clutch in a
>      5 speed Supra manual bolted to a Chev, and trucs me, the only one that
>      you could use was the hydraulic, unless you have a left leg like an
>      elephant.  Even with the hydraulic it took a while to find a
>      master/slave combination that would give a reasonably easy clutch to
>      operate.
> > Pet hate.. cable clutches.
>
> Pet hate.. hydraulic clutches. What's wrong with a nice, self-adjusting
> cable clutch? Which would you rather have fail on you while driving
> through the Heart of Deepest Africa?
>
>      <snip>
let me add my two cents .
the next project I'll make for my van is a power clutch operated by a
deformation
sensor on the clutch lever . so my Mcontroller can say if he's pushing
the pedal with
x force I move the pedal down a little if the the force is between the
limits -keep it
if under let it go up .
I found a brand new servo-steering ele-pump in a salvage yard
I'm not sure about the speed of movement :(
but the nicest thing about it : if it fails it'll leave me with the
orig. sys intact!
 bye
charley