ignition reference

tom cloud cloud at hagar.ph.utexas.edu
Wed Oct 9 13:01:45 GMT 1996

>> My experience is that one is more likely to build a robust, high
>> quality timing disk with six or eight accurately spaced notches or
>> vanes than one with 360 or 256 notches and I do have access to
>> numerically controlled equipment.

>I would never have even tried to make such a disk (unless sending
>it out to be laser cut, quite cheap these days :-)

Has any thought been given to making the disk from a PCB??  The artwork
would be relatively simple using AutoCAD or such.  I can't see how
to do it right now -- maybe plate the copper with iron so a hall
sensor would work with it.  Long ago I used a similar approach
to make optical encoders: encapsulated a film negative artwork in
a lexan disk.

Tom Cloud <cloud at peaches.ph.utexas>