IGNITION PROJECT

jac at wave.sheridan.wy.us jac at wave.sheridan.wy.us
Fri Oct 11 14:39:02 GMT 1996

Mark,

I have this project up and running with lots of hours on it.
The software works well but others could improve it of course.
The board is about six inched long and three inches tall.  A four
line by 20 character LCD  sits in the front.

For a number of reasons, the main board should be moved to a larger
box and the present format of 6 X 3 be retained for I/O functions in
dash mounted box.  There is lots of room for participation and
contribution to the project.  I think that it is important to agree
on format and direction so that the work can be parceled to the
participants.

I will post the whole project if people want to work on it and
improve it.  I am not the least bit interested in distributing a
bunch of code and drawings so that folks can argue about processors
or programming technique without contributing significantly to the
project.

The present board needs a little work, some traces have been cut and
jumped but about one more iteration would get finish it up.  I can
produce printer files for the present board. I would like to figure
out a way to post hand drawings of schematics.  Perhaps scanned
images.  A board and code exist for a test fixture that lets one
simulate engine conditions and run the whole thing on the bench.

I use assembled 8052 code for the core code and Basic, compiled and
assembled with Systronix's compiler, for the '232 and LCD screen I/O
routines. The box has buttons that can be used to modify the
inservice action of the device.  One version of the code runs on a
much smaller controller with no inservice I/O but has the same
control functions.

The processor is a Phillips 87C550. When I build more of these, the
logic will mostly move to an FPGA.  The code will move directly to
CAN capable devices.

There is no reason to build the coil driver circuitry when GM does
such a beautiful job of packaging the entire works for four and six
cylinder engines.  Two units will work for eights.  GM MAP and
variable reluctance magnetic pickups are a great bargain.  All of
these parts are hardened for an automotive environment and are
available at every auto parts store. The toughest procurement is for
wire ends to match the propritory GM configurations.  They are
available though.

The parts are a bargain, but not necessarily cheap. The same is true
for my time and probably yours.

The GM components add up to about $200 new, aftermarket.  I have
several wide temperature '550 available and some cases.  More are
available.  This may not be the proper forum for this project and I
do not have the time to manage another one.  If I figure out how to
use it I guess I have an FTP site available.  If you are interested
in extending this project, post your thoughts or e-mail direct.

john carroll
 jac at wave.sheridan.wy.us