Using pc parts

SRavet at bangate.compaq.com SRavet at bangate.compaq.com
Fri Oct 11 22:46:02 GMT 1996

"Dan J. Declerck" <declrckd at cig.mot.com> Wrote:

| > So here's a thing. I remember one of those irritating Infiniti
commericals
| > about a year ago when the the Infiniti poster boy was talking about an
| > in-car lan. I know nothing about it. Does anyone? Is there something we
| > can salvage from it? What was on it? Are the transcievers cheap?
| >
| > Thanks,
| > 	Dan
|

| There's a number of people whom make these car Lan transceivers.
| The CAN bus is primarily used by BMW, I think they get their parts from
Seimens
| but I am not sure.
|
| I (squared)C is another bus type. I am not sure who uses this.

I2C is used (for example) in computers for cummunication between the power
supply and the motherboard.

| The point is: there is NO standard for automotive communication busses.

This isn't true.  OBD-II has mandated a standard for auto busses.  It comes
in a 2 wire and a 3 wire version.  The spec covers both the electrical
specification, the format of data packets, and what basic information must
be made available.  Manufacturers are free to add other info and not
disclose it, but the OBD-II compliant part is public information.

Steve Ravet
sravet at bangate.compaq.com
Baby you're a genius when it comes to cooking up some chili sauce...