Air Flow Meter

William Boulton boultonw at OntheNet.com.au
Sat Oct 12 00:50:30 GMT 1996

Andrew,

I have serious doubts about this bigger flow meter stuff. Before you
embark on fitting another flow meter, I think it would be a good idea to
determine if the flow meter is offering any significant restriction. Don't
just assume that it is. Do a pressure drop test accross it. It does not
make sense that the manufacturer would fit one too small. The vane would
bottom out before full flow was reached. The flow meter is the systems
only load sense so the ecu could not determine fuel requirements beyond
that point. Result? High speed lean out and a big warranty claim. I don't
think they are that stupid!

As for the throttle body being too small and the inlet runners as well, I
think you overlook a significant number of facts. Inlet tract size (length
& diameter) is based on gas velocity requirements, cylinder volume and
sound wave propergation. It was demonstrated 25 years ago that high power
output did not equate to the biggest possible valves, inlet passages and
throttle size. In my not so humble opinion, I think you are embarking on
the degradation of your low speed performance and drivability. There is no
point in having an inlet tract that will pass x+y cfm when the engine will
barely consume x cfm at full noise. Get my point?

Bill Boulton