Wires and such

Johnny allnight at everett.net
Sun Oct 20 17:25:24 GMT 1996

Same tool, different die set. So I guess you do still have room for a few
more special tools.  ;-)  See your local AMP or Belden distributor. I got
my crimper from Chief Aircraft when I was stuck at their airport in Oregon
one day. They stock several of the die sets for it, but I don't think they
stock the auto ignition ones as aircraft ignition harnesses are very
different. I'm sure you could do better on price from someone else also.
Call AMP or Belden and ask them who their big distributor is in your area.
Some of the major computer network distributors carry the same crimpers
also, but again, I doubt they carry the ignition dies for it. You'll
probably have to order those.

-j-

----------
> From: Frank Mallory <frankm at erols.com>
> To: diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject: Re: Wires and such
> Date: Sunday, October 20, 1996 7:36 AM
>
> Johnny wrote:
> >
> > The AMP tool die set actually compresses the connector without
flattening
> > it. For this to work the best, you need to use the connectors that go
with
> > the die set you are using. IOW, Amp dies --> AMP connectors. If you use
the
> > die set that punches the connector you need to use connectors made for
> > this. They have insulators that don't punch through. AMP, Belden,
> > WireWorks?, all make a good line of connectors and multiple die set
> > crimpers. Once you have the crimper tool itself, the extra die sets are
> > about 30 bucks a piece. I think there are about 30-40 different die
sets
> > available for everything from standard butt connectors to BNC's to
Moldex
> > terminals to Ignition cables. Any excuse to get another special tool.
;-)