Tach input from spark voltage (idea)

Johnny allnight at everett.net
Sun Oct 20 18:26:57 GMT 1996

The voltage on the primary side of the coil varies with the type of
ignition. On a good ol' points & coil ignition it is: battery voltage minus
the ballast resistor. On the coil it will say 12 volts, or 24 volts in some
applications. The primary coil voltage on a CD ignition or various
electronic ignitions (depending on configuration) can vary greatly. I have
one box that uses coils that see about 400 volts on the primary side. Some
of these systems use a standard 12 volt coil, some do not. I know that this
answer isn't as cut and dried as you had hoped, but they are not all the
same. If you are looking to do a "standard" ignition, the primary voltage
is less than 12 volts. Are your concerns for an inductive pickup about
saturation or calibration or?

-j-