GM EGR

George M. Dailey gmd at tecinfo.com
Mon Oct 21 01:34:19 GMT 1996

At 08:22 PM 10/15/96 -0700, you wrote:

>EGR valve in this system is a negative back pressure valve. Believe EGR
>depends on back pressure from exhuast system to work correctly. Since my pu
>is dual exhuast with out cats, back pressure probaly nil. Just need to
>increase back pressure :( or fiqure how to change valve. So don't throw your
>valve away yet.

Hmm, negative back pressure valve, can you explain the following?

With engine not running, I can pull & hold vacuum on the egr actuator.
With engine idling the actuator behaves as though it has a large hole in the
diaphram.

Bad valve or normal operation?

The guy who owned the bird before I got the engine ran no cat with 3" dual
exhaust pipes. I'm not sure if he had the code 32 error, but he smoked lots
of "hot rods" before he wrecked it.

GMD