tach input

tom cloud cloud at hagar.ph.utexas.edu
Tue Oct 22 13:22:30 GMT 1996

A few more morsels:  The ign. coil _IS_ inductive, and it stores _LOTS_
of energy, so you can't ignore its voltage excursion which can be
_30 TIMES_ as big as the 12 volt supply.  A zener will probably work
OK.  Only one prob with a zener: it's not very fast!  Two switching
diodes (as I described incorrectly / then correctly in previous posts)
will switch off in about 4 nS (use 1N914B or 1N4148 or such).  A note
about all PN junctions (that's diodes, transistor base-emitter junctions,
JFET gate-channel junctions, SCR and TRIAC gates, UJT emitter - channel)
-- all PN junctions turn on reasonably fast -- it's the turn-off that
varies.  Big, high current devices are slow.  Zeners, rectifiers are
slow to turn off (slow means hundreds of nanoseconds or a few millisecs).
This may seem insignificant, but a voltage spike a few nanoseconds
long can be enough to destroy a junction -- and certainly a MOS gate.
That's why an opto-isolator works fairly well: besides giving isolation
(maybe -- you're probably not running a separate ground -- you can't,
since the coil is grounded to the chassis), its input is an LED which
is reasonably immune to transients.  Since you've gotta protect the
opto anyway, I still say a ten cent 2N4401 or 2N3904 or 2N2222, etc
is a more reasonable choice (consider: the opto requires several
milliamps to make it work.  The xstor can be made to switch with
microamperes.  The power dissipated in the resistor can be quite high.
To get 5 mA or less with a 300 volt spike requires R=300/.005=60k.
100k limits to 3 mA.  P=E^2 / R so for 60k P = (300)2 / 60k = 1.5 watt.
For 100k, P~1 W.  This may be for short periods, but at high rpm
those periods get real close together and a 1/2 watt R can get real hot!
So, restricting the current to, maybe, 1 mA gives R=300k and P=.3 W.

Sorry, just a little engineering rambling .. You can also drive a
schmitt trigger input inverter (7414) instead of the transistor.
Actually, this would be better .... use a low power Schottky device
(74LS14).  It still has bipolar inputs, so is less immune to transient
voltage damage than MOS / CMOS, requires similarly low currents to the
transistor, and its input is protected the same way (two diodes: one
with cathode to Vcc, the other with anode to GND).  The supreme advantage
to the Schmitt device is a little more relief from multiple signals
from one ignition event due to coil ringing (you'll have to put a
monostable / one-shot in to get rid of the rest).

>Like I said, I'm no expert on this, but: If there were no inductance in the
coil, you'll get square wave of
>battery voltage. The lowest battery voltage sets the highest value for the
resistors to give enough
>current for the opto. Let's say 9V - this leads to around 4k to give 2mA.
Max. current for the opto then

Tom Cloud <cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu>