OBD / Big Brother

Dan J. Declerck declrckd at cig.mot.com
Tue Oct 22 16:08:45 GMT 1996

I find all of this to be opportunity!
I will go into the business of selling aftermarket
engine and body control equipment for the home hot-rodder.
Want to get around OBD-II? buy my box!
If I can get the quantity over 10K units, the price will come
down under $1000. Heck, I'd even sell add-on software components
for data acquisition, tunable re-mapping, etc.

Do you remember the era of copy protection in PC software?
Did it work?

I see this as no different!

Harley Davidson went to fuel injection on the larger of their
Big-Twin models. The very first thing a typical harley owner does
is replace the exhaust for more flow. The second thing is to
replace the cam and re-jet the carburator. With fuel injection,
the mixture ratio could not be changed. Most owners of these
machines removed the fuel injection and put a carburator back on.
This year, Harley modified the fuel injection setup to allow it
to be re-mapped, after they figured out that they gave a ton of
money to the Mikuni aftermarket carburator business.

I was considering the design of an aftermarket plug in replacement
to Harley's fuel injection controller. If they had not changed the
controller, I could have made a ton of money!

-Dan

--
=> Dan DeClerck                        | EMAIL: declrckd at cig.mot.com      <=
=> Motorola Cellular CSD               |                                  <=