OBD / Big Brother

Walters Chris p23610 at gegpo6.geg.mot.com
Tue Oct 22 17:32:32 GMT 1996

>I find all of this to be opportunity!
>I will go into the business of selling aftermarket
>engine and body control equipment for the home hot-rodder.
>Want to get around OBD-II? buy my box!
>If I can get the quantity over 10K units, the price will come
>down under $1000. Heck, I'd even sell add-on software components
>for data acquisition, tunable re-mapping, etc.
>
>Do you remember the era of copy protection in PC software?
>Did it work?

No. It caused great fustration in the user community. A few people made lots
of money providing a relief to this fustration until the major software
providers backed off.

I would prefer the user community not go through the fustration in the first
place.

Besides, there's one large hole in your idea. The same regulators that
forced OBD II on us will simply make "any engine control management system
not manufactured by the OEM"  -- i.e. your box -- illegal with a wave of
their bureaucratic pen. You'll still be able to make your box but you won't
be able to sell it in the open, which means you won't reach many customers,
so you won't make much money. Speaking of money, a far cheaper solution
would be to buy a pre-OBD II wreck for $100 and install its electronic
system.

Snake
no cool Fords yet, one cool Dodge
all pre-77