5 terminal HEI module

Mark Eidson mark.eidson at tempe.vlsi.com
Wed Oct 23 15:38:50 GMT 1996

Has anybody tried to use the teeth on the flywheel or flexplate as a timing
source?  me

_________________________________
>Subject: 5 terminal HEI module
>Author:  diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu at INTERNET
>Date:    10/21/96 9:25 PM
>

>dzorde asks about the function of the 5 terminal HEI module. This was an
>early control system for knock control only. The distributor (dizzy?) still
>had centrifugal weights and a vacuum advance.  The positive line of the two
>wire pickup coil is sent to an ESC controller, instead of going right to the
>HEI module as in the 4 terminal variety. If the ESC controller is not
>detecting any knock input it simply allows the pickup coil signal to return
>to the module and fire the coil. If it does detect knock, it DELAYS the
>return of the pickup coil signal for a time equal to the numbers of degrees
>of retard it commands, based on a lookup table in the ESC controller. The 5th
>terminal is simply used as the line to return the pickup coil signal on. It
>was an early, rather crude method of knock retard, but was perceived as a
>great accomplishment at the time. I make this assumption based on the size of
>the "ESC" emblem they used to put on the tailgate of trucks equipped with
>this system. When I am doing a repair on these systems, most customers allow
>me to just loop the positive pickup coil wire back into the module and throw
>the ESC controller away!
>
>                John Spears
>Speartech Fuel Injection Systems

* Mark Eidson                        Voice: (602)752-6513                 *
* Staff Design Engineer                Fax: (602)752-6000                 *
* Manager System Integration and                                          *
*   Verification                    E-Mail:  mark.eidson at tempe.vlsi.com   *
* VLSI Technology, Inc.                                                   *
* 8375 South River Parkway                                                *
* M/S 265                                                                 *
* Tempe, Arizona     85284                                                *