pop quiz

George M. Dailey gmd at tecinfo.com
Thu Oct 24 01:21:31 GMT 1996

At 08:12 PM 10/22/96 MST, you wrote:

>For 10 points;
>
>I have a GM 350 suburban with a bad cylinder. I also have a spare 305 engine.
>How much trouble will it be to run the 305 while I rebuild the 350? THe burb
>is a 1989 TBI with a map sensor.
>
>Dan Furgason

This should be as easy as it gets. Vance mentioned about the center manifold
bolt holes so I won't go there. I'm not sure that there is a difference
between 350 & 305 TBI injectors. If it is, it's minimal. This will probally
be ECM 1227747. As far as the electronics go, I THINK the ECM is smart
enough to compensate for the cubic inch displacement difference in closed
loop. A simple EPROM swap would guarantee trouble free operation (~$50.00
dealer). If you don't want to wrestle with the manifold problem, simply make
an adapter for the exiesting 305 manifold.  I did, and it worked great for
me. Remember the exhaust manifold o2 sensor. All manifolds were not cast
equally. Some won't have the fitting others will have one head bolt that
won't line up. All in all this type of swap is as simple as it gets. If you
use the exiesting 350 prom, let us know how it worked out.

GMD