Fuel Delivery and Ignition Question...

peter paul fenske pfenske at direct.ca
Sat Oct 26 00:20:12 GMT 1996

At 01:22 PM 10/25/96 -0500, you wrote:
>> >      What I intend to do is design/create a device which sends a fixed
(say
>> > 180km/hr) signal to the ECU after I exceed 180km/hr so that I may bypass
>> > this cursed functionality.  I know that the ECU uses the vehicle's
speed in
>> > its calculation for these functions and I am wondering what effect passing
>> > an incorrect speed of 180km/hr when I start to drive faster, say at
>> > 200+km/hr  My question is:  How does this effect the ignition and fuel
>> > delivery?  Please help!

Hi All

For GM VSS or speed sets up various self tests but these generally
happen at 50 MPH and are not that critical. For an automatic lockup
control happens at about 35 MPH or so. Ditto for fan control.
So altering the top speed will not affect the ecm correctly.

I do believe some of the nissans have active control systems in there
suspension and steering but the results are generally subjective.

Remember though ABS also works from this but is usually enabled
above 40MPH.

The neatest way to get around this problem is to build a ratio
adapter. Say 10 pulses in six out. This would convert the KMph to MPH.
With the old cable speedos we used to buy gear adapter.

Later: peter