Excessive Ignition Timing Advance Effects

John Faubion jfaubion at beaches.net
Thu Oct 31 03:48:09 GMT 1996

> Scenario:	IC engine
> 		compression ratio = 8:1
> 		fuel octane = 120 unleaded

First off just where are you finding 120 octane fuel and why would you need
it for an 8:1 compression ratio?

> engine parameter or by-product can I measure which will tell me which
> Ignition setting gave me peak torque at the lowest combustion chamber

I'd watch the exhaust gas temperature. Maximum EGT usually coincides with
the torque peak across the rpm range. Once the EGT drops on the side of
lean detenation occurs and CHT goes up and on the other side both CHT and
EGT drop.

John Faubion