Knock sensors

Todd Knighton knighton at net-quest.com
Mon Sep 2 18:00:48 GMT 1996

Tom,
	My first question is, how tall are you really?!? ha, ha.

	I've found that if I run the ignition timing too close to the limit on
the dyno that the knock sensors hit, the runs will be very
inconsistent.  But if the engine is set up properly, and the knock
sensors never need to do any thing then the engine performs well and
consistently.
	Knock sensors are for worst case scenario's.  Bad gas, carbon buildup,
impropper octane, exceedingly high temperatures.  I've never found a
system that works well enough to let it run on the sensors.
	We use the knock sensors with the monitor from J&S to tune the engine
till there is no more knock showing, not to leave it run on it.  A
properly calibrated engine should never see knock anyway!

Todd Knighton
Protomotive Engineering