water injection & detonation supression

Dirk Wright wright at uspto.gov
Wed Sep 4 11:58:31 GMT 1996

On Tue, 3 Sep 1996, George M. Dailey wrote:

> Gentlemen, OEMs use exhaust gas to supress detonation, right? Exhaust gas
> recirculation systems to be exact, EGR.  This seams superior to water
> injection. Is it?

I thought EGR was strickly for reduced exhaust emmisions? I would think
that the hot exhaust gas would heat up the intake such that it would
increase the likelihood of detonation. Water injection would cool the
intake air, making it denser. Of course, for real density, these's
nothing like nitrous!

Dirk Wright 					            wright at uspto.gov
"I speak for myself and not my employer."               1974 Porsche 914 2.0
"A real hifi glows in the dark and has horns."            1965 Goodman House