Ancient History

Todd Knighton knighton at net-quest.com
Sat Sep 7 18:11:37 GMT 1996

> So, you're telling me these mpg figures don't bother you?
>
> Tom

Tom,
	Actually, we have a Chevy 3500 w/ a 454 and a 3.53 rear, and the
mileage sucks.  They're running the thing lean enough that it has quite
the misfire at idle.  It's leased and will probably be going back,
otherwise we'd fix it.
	It only gets about 12 miles per gallon highway and about 8 around
town.  I'd almost be better off making 3 or four trips in a honda, and
still save on fuel / tires / maintenance.
	Big motors get bad gas mileage.  Period.
	There's too much friction involved to do much better.  I'd bet you
could get the motor up to mid 30's in mileage with optimum cam timing,
port shape, combustion chamber shape and the like, but it'd be useless
as a tow vehicle then.  compromises.  Oh well.

Todd Knighton
Protomotive Engineering