troubleshooting a taurus

Tony Bryant bryantt at psc.fp.co.nz
Sun Sep 8 21:18:02 GMT 1996

> From:          "Mike Fahrion" <mfahrion at bb-elec.com>
> To:            diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Date:          Fri, 6 Sep 1996 15:20:04 +0000
> Subject:       troubleshooting a taurus

> Sorry if this is a bit off subject.
>
> A coworker has paid an insane sum to a dealer to fix a problem which
> hasn't gone away - and I believe that it should be a simple EFI
> problem.
>
> The taurus has a very hard time starting after sitting overnite or
> over perhaps 8-10 hours.  Takes a large amount of cranking with no
> firing, then stumbles slowly to life.  Ambient temperature doesn't
> seem to have any effect.  Computer reveals no fault codes, pump and
> filter are good.
>
> Isn't there a fuel accumulator which should maintain fuel pressure
> when sitting?  If this was faulty would it allow pressure to drop -
> forcing the pump to charge the system again before it could start?
>
> Any insight would be appreciated
>
> TIA
> -mike
> mfahrion at bb-elec.com

Sounds like a marginal inductive (crank angle) pickup. These things
produce a signal level proportional to the speed. Sounds like cold
cranking is not producing enough signal.

The computer probably expects some havoc while starting, so doesn't
bother to report any bizarrities (since it runs fine when running)