water injection; and methanol

Robert J. Harris bob at bobthecomputerguy.com
Tue Sep 10 10:14:13 GMT 1996

Remember the Reichstag

----------
> From: RD Rick <rickydik at ix.netcom.com>
> To: diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject: Re: water injection; and methanol
> Date: Saturday, September 07, 1996 7:52 AM

> >He also suggested that mixing up to 50% methanol with the water helped
> >improved its volatility.
> >Jim Steck
>
> Word of warning.  I have read that methanol is very corrosive to metal
> parts, while ethanol is not.  I don't know if ethanol will work in that
> application.

Pre - EPA, every good gadget-addict has an oil-mist vaporizor to provide
upper engine and valve lubrication.  This manifold vacuum operated glass
tank sucked up a small "highly vaporized" mist thru a fish tank bubbler
in the intake.  You purchased the special lubricating oil for only $5 a
pint,
and blended it with "pure" water or if it was cold, a thin blend of
windshield
wiper fluid and water.  And then there was water pump lubricant, only a
buck fifty a bottle and guaranteed to blend with all coolants and
lubricate
your pump bearings.

In both cases, the operating agent was plain old cutting oil - yep the
white
slushy stuff you see in every machine shop.  Couple of tables spoons white
stuff, some food coloring or if its the good stuff - just enuff antifreeze
to give
the pint of water this concoction was in a green coloring, a fancy yellow
bottle
and 10,000 % profit can be yours.

Seriously, industrial strength meth has 15% petroleum to counter the
corrosion
problem.  Since cutting oil is a water soluble lubricant and protectant, if
you
blended a couple tablespoons into your water/meth mix, you would greatly
reduce the corrosion and you would get the benefits of a "highly vaporized
upper cylinder lubricator" also

When you read alcohol in automotive applications, replace it with methanol
and you will be both historically and currently correct.  The only time
ethanol
is considered is if you have no access to meth or you are co-operating with
congress in supporting the farm lobby.

Meth has higher octane, produces more power in REAL engines, is
significantly
cheaper and is much less polluting.