Water Injection for power?

Frank Parker fparker at umich.edu
Tue Sep 10 14:13:35 GMT 1996

>   So I could inject water at the intake manifold without losing power
> while maintiang the cooling effect?  Good to know, cuz I don't want to
> actually pull the engine to pieces.  Slightly unrelated question: does
> anyone know how this would affect *heated* O2 sensors?
>
> Thanks!
>                 Thor Johnson
>        johnsont at falcon.mercer.peachnet.edu
>    http://falcon.mercer.peachnet.edu/~johnsont

Should not be a problem. Complete combustion of hydrocarbons gives
CO2 and H2O. Only problem I have seen is some special O2 sensors for
measuring a/f have a limit on temp change rate and thus have time delays
built into the electronics so that when the engine is started, the power is
delayed to heater circuit of O2 sensor so any liquid water from condensation
etc does not get on hot sensor and thus exceed is degC/time limits.Power
is applied after about 30 sec delay. This is true of Bosch LA-2 a/f meter
using LSM-11 sensor.
Standard automotive sensors try to heat asap so can go to closed loop asap.
Biggest area of current emmissions study is how to reduce early cold start
emissions. Trying such things as phase change salt solutions to hold heat.

Frank Parker