Altitude Compensation

Chuck Tomlinson tomlinsc at ix.netcom.com
Wed Sep 11 22:15:55 GMT 1996

Robert J. Harris wrote:

>Does anyone do any altitude compensation?  Because, as altitude
>increases, not only does the air mass density decrease, but the
>percentage of oxygen decreases (simple physics - check books
>before questioning or flaming) and the oxygen decrease is independent
>of the density decrease.

OK, I did a little research on the Web; everything I saw that
described atmospheric composition said that the composition of the
troposphere is roughly constant (up to ~10 km) because of thorough
convective mixing.

This makes sense to me, and since the highest roads I know of are
lower than 5 km (16,000') and subject to winds that travel from
valleys to peaks, I'd expect the air composition to be essentially
the same as sea level (but less dense, of course).

I'm not flaming you; I'm just curious about *why* the percentage
of oxygen would change from sea level to 5 km, and if it does,
by how much.

Thanks.
--
Chuck Tomlinson.