water injection

Dave Williams dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us
Thu Sep 12 10:13:24 GMT 1996

-> Caterpillar is supposedly working with a guy named Gunnerman to
-> develop this "wonder fuel". I'll believe it when I see it.

 There is actually a fairly decent body of information on water emulsion
fuels going back to the 1950s.  Several SAE papers and some theses,
anyway.

 Basically, the emulsions seem to have a small but favorable cost/power
ratio compared to straight fuel - that is, if you had a 25% water
emulsion, your power output would not drop a full 25%.  Most emulsions
are made by forcing the fuel and water through a fine mesh under
pressure, where they will stay in emulsion for a few minutes, long
enough to be carbureted or injected, anyway.

 It *does* work, though it's not really worth all the hassle, like
turbo-compound engines.  I don't know of any current or planned real
world applications, though it'd likely be limited to stationary or
marine stuff.

 At the other extreme you have the people who claim to have some sort of
solvent that will let you mix gas and water together and get more power
than straight gas alone, cleaner teeth, fresher breath, and as much
studliness as you can handle.  Various alcohols will let you do it, but
you won't get that kind of results.  Run away, run away....

====dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us========================DoD#978=======
  can you help me...help me get out of this place?...slow sedation...
ain't my style, ain't my pace...giving me a number...NINE, SEVEN, EIGHT
==5.0 RX7 -> Tyrannosaurus RX! == SAE '82 == Denizens of Doom M/C '92==