Radial- Diametral Head

Robert J. Harris bob at bobthecomputerguy.com
Fri Sep 13 16:35:35 GMT 1996

Remember the Reichstag

----------
> From: Dave Williams <dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us>
> To: diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject: Re: Radial- Diametral Head
> Date: Friday, September 13, 1996 12:17 AM
>

> -> Have a look Zoche aerodiesel web page:
> -> http://193.26.97.194  Maybe this will be the future of car diesel
> -> also!
>
>  I have some a 1940s engineering book which makes a strong case for the
> aviation Diesel.

Just prior to the end of W.W.II, Napier Deltic built the "ultimate
IC engine.  It was a 12 cylinder horizontally opposed 2 cycle
diesel with 2 stage supercharging, inter and after cooling, the
exhaust was compounded and the excess was funneled into
a nozzle to develop 750 foot pounds thrust. It developed
about 3500 HP and weighed less, thus breaking the 1 hp
per pound barrier.   Problem was the gas turbine could make
similar power, much lower weight and much simpler, so the
IC engine was relegated to cheap, low power apps and exists
today in ac use only because the lawyers have made it
impossible to change anything without a billion $ lawsuit.