Timing - again

Dirk Wright wright at uspto.gov
Mon Sep 16 01:56:39 GMT 1996

On Sat, 14 Sep 1996, talltom wrote:

 I manintain that much bigger > differences than show here are available
in the real world.(on track) Having > blown > engs using the knock method,
it leaves me a little less than impressed.  It > still > seems that the
trick is finding the sweet spot, with knock only useful for a > message >
telling you which way to go, and that you need to go a ways.

What about the technique of using a vacuum gauge to determine optimum
timing? On my old 914, that's what I use, and it jibes with the crank
markings (which are really hard to see, hence the alternative method).

Briefly, the method is to connect a vacuum gauge and adjust the timing at
idle until a maximum reading is found on the gauge, then stop. If you
continue to turn the distributor, you'll find that there's a plateau in
the reading. I was told that the best timing was just when the plateau was
reached. Seems to work for me.

Dirk Wright 					            wright at uspto.gov
"I speak for myself and not my employer."               1974 Porsche 914 2.0
"A real hifi glows in the dark and has horns."            1965 Goodman House