Spark plug ionisation

M HILL EAXMJHI at ean2.mecheng.nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Sep 16 13:05:29 GMT 1996

I am starting to do some work on looking at spark plug ionisation for
measuring instability in engines running at very lean AFRs.  I was
just wondering if anybody else had done any work in this field.  If
so, what sensors were used for measuring the ionisation currents.
The system I am looking at is going to use a second spark at around
15degrees after TDC and use a transient suppressor and capacitor on
the secondary of the coil to store voltage for measuring ionisation.

Martin.