Timing - again

Woodd, Michael wooddm at akcity.govt.nz
Tue Sep 17 22:16:46 GMT 1996

>     Well it's time for me to challenge  some with more edu than me, but
I'm
{snip snipetty snip}
>if you can agree on why this is?

I was going to mention a guy who makes engine computers here in NZ,
who I talked to once - I asked how he set spark on the dyno before
customers took their "hotted up" cars away, and he said that it was
mainly guesswork maximising torque etc, but you could sometimes
look for a reduction in torque as spark advanced, prior to knock.
(he has worked on many different types of cars, including jap)

I was going to mention him, but Todd blew my words away - if you're
new to this list it wont take long to figure out who to listen to...

I will mention talking to Robbie Francevic, who told me that when he
was driving turbo Volvos in touring cars, they got max power when
knock was just starting, and infact when they stuck a scope down
the plug hole you could see the tiny pock marks in the top of the
piston around the crown.

Are turbo engines different to normally aspirated in this regard,
due to any reason apart from c.chamber design etc., I wonder?

Mike Woodd
(wooddm at akcity.govt.nz)
Anybody need a race car driver?