Math Question

John Napoli jgn at li.net
Wed Sep 18 01:15:17 GMT 1996

This issue of thermodynamic efficiency is one of my hot points (ouch).

Fossil fuel plants use every trick in the book to recapture all the
'waste' BTUs that they can.  If you neglect the power used to run their
pollution devices (a parasitic loss), their overall efficiency is pretty
good - I recall numbers in the mid-40s.

Our gasoline engines in our cars do nothing to utilize the energy in the
waste heat.  Arre they 10%? 20% efficient overall?  I doubt 20% but lets
go with that number.

If we were able to utilize a third of the waste heat, wouldn't that make a
big difference?  Instead of raising CAFE with smaller and lighter cars, we
would raise it by being more efficient.  I doubt that all the EFI software
in the world will make much more MPG than we see right now.  I would like
to see something intelligent about using the waste heat.

John