Math Question

Kalle Pihlajasaari kalle at device.data.co.za
Wed Sep 18 19:20:14 GMT 1996

Hi,

> Thought I was vaguely on the right track.... Now.... Water.
>
> Is this the case:
>
> Water absorbs energy as it does the transition from liquid to gas. This =
> transition is 1 Joule per cc.

It is one Joule / deg / cc of specific heat (not a phase change)

For the latent heat of vaporisation it is many Joules / cc (like 1500
Joules or something) This is why steam burns you much worse than
boiling hot water.

> So by letting the water absorb the energy, without increasing gas temp, =
> but definitly increasing cylinder pressure, we are absorbing heat, and =
> turning it into torque???

Well turning to pressure, remember the burn quality will be compromised
at some point from too much water but you certainly will get more
steam.  Also the problem with steam is if it starts to condense
at high pressure at the lower portion of the cylinder then you have
a sudden drop in pressure.  All the other noxious gasses will not condense
until they get real cold and then only some of them.

The waste heat problem is also somewhat under scrutiny by the
ceramic motor people who want to do away with cooling and run the
engine hot for a good burn but not loose the heat in a radiator,
just reaise teh temp once and then use better design to make the
engined more adiabatic (I think the word is) and circulate the heat.

Turbines all use regenerators to get some of the heat back from the
exhaust gasses into the compressed air, they do not have the ait density
problem of valved engines so are able to increase the pressure and air
velocity to make up for the hotter input air.

What sort of electronics are to be found in turbine and Wankel
cars.  They came out long time ago with mechanical fueling but the
occasional few these days might have electronics, dunno.

Cheers
Kalle Pihlajasaari     kalle at data.co.za
Interface Products     Box 15775, Doornfontein, 2028, South Africa
+27 (11) 402-7750      Fax: +27 (11) 402-7751