Microcontroller shielding questions

Gordon Couger gcouger at ceatlabs.okstate.edu
Thu Sep 19 14:05:11 GMT 1996

>At 09:14 AM 9/17/96 PDT, Wade Barnes wrote:
>
>>I am designing a small (2"x2") controller board for use in the automotive
>>and robotics industries.  The board is based on the MC68HC16Z1
>>microcontroller.  Since the engine compartment of a car is filled with EMI
>>we are attempting to make the board as resistant as possible to the effects
>>of the EMI.

Using sheilded twisted pairs for your incoming wires will help. Ground the
sheild at the computer and leave the other end ungrounded. Have a very good
ground.

>Sorry, I can't quantify any of the EMI/RFI effects that you mentioned, I'd
>be surprised if anyone could.  Mebbe stick the car in a Faraday cage and see
>what you get.

Faraday cages are hard to come by. If you can find a large field with no power
lines you can do about as well as in a cage. At least one major farm equipment
maker use this method.

Good luck
Gordon