Math Question

George M. Dailey gmd at tecinfo.com
Fri Sep 20 02:20:43 GMT 1996

At 12:46 PM 9/19/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Unless some real efficient heat/electric device was available, and used to
>drive the car, not much of a gain will be seen.
>Power plants have 2 advantages.  THey don't move.  So weight of the extra
>equipment isn't a problem.  And they are amortized over something like
>thirty-five years.  Helps with the costs.  Now while some of us might have
>overweight project cars that never move and just eat dollars, that is not
>the point!  :)
>
>So I expect that this issue will remain pretty much a sore point unless
>somehow we figure out how to use the waste heat to perform mechanical
>work.  Your car just does not use enough electrical power to gain much by
>eliminating the alternator, although of course it is a step in the right
>direction.
>
>John

I agree John, but if over 60 percent is waste heat energy out of the
radiator and tail pipe it seems simple enough to catch at least 20% of the
wasted heat. Read the excerpt from my response to talltom's initial request.
The turbine could be substituted for a large vane type air motor couppled to
the engine. I think the materials are available to make it happen.

...snip...Think about this, a low pressure turbine connected between the
rear axle and tranny (to
assist the engine). Hot water from the engine is routed to water jacketed
exhaust manifolds for 'super heating'. This steam is then routed to the
drive shaft turbine. Low pressure steam leaves the turbine and enters the
radiator or back to the engine to be condensed or heated again. And, don't
forget the water purification unit right before the turbine.

I'm sure there is a simple reason why this will not work, besides cost. I
don't know it. Let's see what the thermodynamic experts say.

GMD

BTW, we use similar unit to generate power with >50% effiency. We
essentially vent the exhaust of a gas turbine generator into conventional
fossile boiler. Some plants have simply decomissioned a burner and stuck the
ass end of the turbine/generator there. The supercritical plant where I work
achieves 9,400 - 10,200 btu/killowatt-hour with just a super critical boiler
and generator.