DIY_EFI Digest V1 #277

Michael F. Sargent MSargent at gallium.com
Fri Sep 20 14:36:13 GMT 1996

> I would be very careful using water injection on a diesel ...

Take a look at the tractor pulling deisel engines. They will use up to 15
bar (225 PSI) of boost, and put a lot of water in to control detonation.
And they make an ungodly amount of power!

On a side note, I notice that a number of the water injection posts over the
last week or so seem to imply that water injection can get more power out of
a normally aspirated engine. I don't think that is true. Water injection can
be used to offset detonation at high power levels, but the water itself will
not add any power. The power is added by allowing higher manifold pressures
(either WOT or boost) before the engine explodes. The water itself adds no
power (regardless of state changes to steam etc.)

An engine with lower compression, better combustion chanmber design, aluminum
heads, or ceramic coatings, can all do the same job of offsetting detonation.
And off of those techniques are simpler (hence more reliable) than water
injection.

Mike