Fuel Air Diesel engine induction

Kalle Pihlajasaari kalle at device.data.co.za
Fri Sep 20 19:03:24 GMT 1996

Hi All,

> Dirty little diesel secret.  Propane.  Since a diesel runs with an
> excess of oxygen, with the right fuel, you can make more power.
> Lots more power - like 25% more without busting a wrench.
> (Check BI FUEL references on the internet).
>
> You merely meter propane to the intake air of a diesel engine in
> proportion to the EXTRA power you would like to make - like a
> throttle plate NOS system, without the NOS.  Since the auto
> inanition temp of propane is ridiculously high, it won't ignite
> until you introduce it to the fire from the injected fuel.  Since it
> requires a relatively rich mixture to sustain combustion (
> compared to gasoline) a lean mixture is not prone to backfiring.

I know of small diesels (VW Golf/Rabbit) that would when in a
real worn state actually run on engine oil that was breathed
into the air filter gallery from the crank case due to worn
rings and even after the EFI cutoff solenoid was off and no
more injection took place the engine would keep going without
any governing effect either (lots of power) and the only way to
kill the engine was to stall it in high gear with all the brakes.

A real supprise for a little old lady driver I'm sure :-)

Cheers
Kalle Pihlajasaari     kalle at data.co.za
Interface Products     Box 15775, Doornfontein, 2028, South Africa
+27 (11) 402-7750      Fax: +27 (11) 402-7751