Chip operating temperatures

Al Grippo Al_Grippo_at_~AT-VAP1 at cc.atinc.com
Tue Sep 24 12:26:14 GMT 1996

  IC chips for automotive use are generally specified as having operating
temperatures from -40 deg C to 125 or 150 deg C.  The 68332 chips bought in the
group pcb buy were rated 0 deg C to 70 deg C (32 deg F to 158 deg F).  I'm sure
these are ok for prototypes, but is anyone concerned about them lasting 50-100
k miles in a real environment ?

  Most of the critical parts for the board which I have accumulated are in the
automotive temperature range, but I have not been able to get the 68332 or sram
chips in this range.  I know the part numbers, but was told by several major
suppliers (newark, future, hallmark) that these industrial/ milspec chips are
not stock items and must be ordered in large quantities. The same applies to
sram (the highest industrial range here is -40 deg C to 70 deg C). Is anyone
interested in a group buy for these ?

 Al Grippo