Chip operating temperatures

Wayne Braun Wayne.Braun at Develcon.com
Tue Sep 24 16:46:56 GMT 1996

At 08:59 PM 9/24/96 EST, you wrote:
>  IC chips for automotive use are generally specified as having operating
>temperatures from -40 deg C to 125 or 150 deg C.  The 68332 chips bought in
the
>group pcb buy were rated 0 deg C to 70 deg C (32 deg F to 158 deg F).  I'm
sure
>these are ok for prototypes, but is anyone concerned about them lasting 50-100
>k miles in a real environment ?
>
>  Most of the critical parts for the board which I have accumulated are in the
>automotive temperature range, but I have not been able to get the 68332 or
sram
>chips in this range.  I know the part numbers, but was told by several major
>suppliers (newark, future, hallmark) that these industrial/ milspec chips are
>not stock items and must be ordered in large quantities. The same applies to
>sram (the highest industrial range here is -40 deg C to 70 deg C). Is anyone
>interested in a group buy for these ?
>
> Al Grippo

        For prototypes, I think these parts will work fine. We can get the
systems working and work the bugs out etc...

        It does not usually get much over +40C here so the top end of the
temp range is not much of a concern. BUT, winter IS comming. It is already
going down to +3C at night, and -40C is not that unusual. I for one will
need parts that I can rely on to work at least down to -40C and preferrably
-50C. At -40C, things can get very serious in a big hurry and the last thing
that you need is a vehicle that will not run due to the cold. Last winter
there were days where the temp did not warm up to -40. I know, I know, if
its that cold just stay inside, sometimes that is not an option ( my boss
has this foolish notion that I should show up for work ).

        If you are putting together a buy, I'm in.

        Wayne ( I really need to find a more moderate climate ) Braun
Wayne Braun     Product Support Services       Develcon Electronics
EMAIL: Wayne.Braun at Develcon.com                HTTP://WWW.Develcon.com
Phone 1-800-667-9333  or ( 306 ) 933-3300      FTP://FTP.Develcon.com
Standard disclaimer about speaking only for myself etc......